Flying House Productions (dba Seattle Men's Chorus and Seattle Women's Chorus) values diversity in all areas of its operations and welcomes and encourages all applications. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note: Job applications must be sent as directed in individual postings. Please do not send job-related email to the webmaster or Chorus information feedback email box.
• There are currently no job postings
Current Open Position(s)
Finance Director Download PDF
Flying House Productions, parent organization to Seattle Men’s Chorus and Seattle Women’s Chorus, is one of Washington State’s largest and most influential arts organizations, ranking third among its music groups in terms of budget, audience exposure, and number of performers. Our mission is to entertain, enlighten, unify and heal our audience and members, using the power of words and music to recognize the value of gay and straight people and their relationships. Founded in 1979, we are the largest gay-identified choral organization in the nation, and among the largest community choruses in the world.
The Finance Director coordinates and supervises the organization’s financial operations. This position reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the management team. The Finance Director ensures that all financial transactions are executed and documented according to generally accepted accounting principles and/or other statutory requirements.
- Manage all day-to-day finance and accounting functions, including accounts payable, cash receipts, accounts receivable, payroll, cash management, and investment management
- Review and post batches from the ticketing module (Patron Edge) and fundraising module (Raisers Edge) to ensure accuracy and timely follow-up on problems and questions
- Supervise one part-time accounting assistant
- Manage all banking, investment and insurance relationships
- Perform the month-end accounting close, including account reconciliations, adjusting entries, and standard financial reporting to the Finance Committee and Board
- Analyze operating results against budget and prepare monthly variance report; incorporate information into ongoing financial forecasts and cash flow projections
- Work with the Executive Director, department managers, and the Board Finance Committee to develop the annual operating and capital budgets
- Work as part of a team to address both acute and long-term financial challenges facing the organization, and develop priorities and policies that will enhance the financial health of the organization
- Prepare regular and ad hoc financial and management reports as requested by the Executive Director and Board Finance Committee
- Provide support to department managers and other staff regarding expense tracking, budgeting, grant applications, and financial reporting
- Ensure compliance with applicable tax laws; prepare state and local tax returns and other needed filings; maintain all licenses and permits
- Coordinate and manage the annual audit process with internal staff and auditors
- Coordinate the annual preparation of Form 990 with our outside CPA firm
- Maintain, revise, and implement effective accounting policies, procedures and systems, including a robust set of internal controls
- Manage employee benefits, including compliance tasks and annual renewals
- Maintain appropriate levels of insurance coverage; prepare applications and renewal schedules
- Assist Executive Director with the human resource function, including hiring, salary decisions, annual reviews, training, and conflict resolution
- Maintain procedures for the systematic retention, storage, transfer, protection, retrieval, and disposal of records
- Participate in Staff, Manager, Finance Committee, and Board meetings.
- Complete other duties and tasks as assigned
- BA in accounting or finance from an accredited institution (advanced degree, MBA, and/or CPA preferred)
- 5+ years of hands-on accounting and finance experience, with significant management and/or supervisory experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting policies, procedures, internal controls, and GAAP
- Knowledge of not-for-profit 501(c) 3 accounting, finance, and compliance; work experience with a not-for-profit organization is a plus
- Proficiency with MS Excel and Financial Edge (or comparable system); proficiency with MS Office; experience with e-commerce desirable
- Experience in managing and preparing materials for audit process and Form 990 (non-profit) tax returns; experience in risk management program administration
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff effectively
- Knowledge of HR practices, laws and regulations
- Personal commitment and genuine enthusiasm for FHP’s mission, with an ability to convey that enthusiasm to others inside and outside of the organization
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills; able to multitask, and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate and interact positively and effectively with people at different levels within and outside the organization; patience, flexibility, enthusiasm, and a good sense of humor
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a Board of Directors, committee members and senior management in a candid, effective, and responsive manner.
CLASSIFICATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time, exempt position. Work schedule will vary, with meetings and events often scheduled during evening and weekend hours. There is some flexibility possible with office hours.
Salary based on demonstrated skills and experience.
FHP currently offers the following benefits in addition to salary*:
- Subsidized major medical, dental vision and prescription drug plans
- Three weeks per year paid vacation
- Nine paid holidays, plus four floating holidays
- Twelve sick leave days per year
- Long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan (wholly employee funded)
* Employee benefits as currently in place; subject to change without notice.
Please email the following to Executive Director, Frank Stilwagner:
- Cover letter
- Three recent professional references (w/emails and phone numbers)
Please Note: Please submit resumes on or before Friday, July 11, 2014. All submissions will be reviewed by the search committee on Tuesday, July 15, 2014 and the leading candidates will be called for interviews. No phone inquiries please. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.